Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pre-Mortal Life

In the church that I belong to, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we believe that we existed before coming to this earth. One of the reasons we came to this earth is to get a body. I've mentioned before that while my children eat breakfast I read them stories from a magazine my church puts out called The Friend. This morning we read a story about a child who had cancer and how his friends sold their toys to help pay some of the bills his family would have to pay. After the story I talked to my children about service and really how to serve someone. Later I saw that my youngest bed was made, he is only 2. I told him he did a good job, then he said that his older brother did it. I loved that my oldest did a service for his little brother. But that's not the point for this post. Anyhow, I'm not quite sure how the subject changed from service. Sometimes you never know with little kids. :] But it changed to talking about Grizz. Grizz was my sister-in-law's dog. My oldest talks about Grizz a lot. He and my daughter loved that dog. He died while we were all camping as an extended family. It was a hard loss for many of the grand kids. My daughter asked if Grizz was happy. I said he was and he was probably playing with Merrill. Merrill is my sister-in-law's, the same sister-in-law, son who passed just minutes after he was born. My daughter asked more about him. My husband and I were lucky to be there at the hospital and see him just a little while after his passing. We were able to hold him and I took some pictures of him. So I looked up the pictures and showed them to my children this morning. Merrill was born and passed exactly one month, to the day, before my daughter was born. We talked about how they would have been the best cousins. That made her smile. Then we talked about Heaven and how I'm sure she was with him before he came to earth. She asked if she would ever get to see and play with Merrill. I told her she would. She got so excited just thinking about being able to see him again. It was a special moment for me. I was able to share that part of my testimony with her. I know that we lived with our Heavenly Father, our friends, and our soon to be family members before we came to this earth. We knew them. We interacted with them. I believe that with all of my heart. I am grateful for my testimony of the pre-mortal life and that I could share that with my daughter this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment