Thursday, April 29, 2010

Trials and Kids

Our children can go through trials too, even at a young age. My oldest son is in Kindergarten. He has a tender heart and I have loved that when ever I talk to his teacher she has had only wonderful things to say about him. Not only in regards to his learning abilities but also his character, his friendliness, his integrity, and honesty. Having his dad gone a lot has been hard. Sometimes when my son doesn't get to talk to his dad at night he'll cry while saying his prayers because he misses him so much.
This last week has been an extra hard one for all of the kids. They have only been able to talk to my husband once. I noticed that my oldest has been acting out a lot at home. It's been harder for him to mind and do his chores, but he's young so I didn't think much about it. Kids go through stages. I didn't notice there was an underlying problem until today. His school teacher called me. My son has been acting out in class. His teacher called to let me know that she needs to change some things. He wasn't listening to her and was causing problems for other students as well. I don't want you to think it was all him causing problems, other children's parents were called too. But this was mine son. Mine son who when acting out in school just needs one reminder and it's stops.
When I was on the phone with her I just started crying. She didn't know our situation at home. I explained it to her, not to give my son an excuse, but to help her understand where it was coming from. It made my heart break. I didn't notice how much he was hurting inside until I got the phone call from his teacher. Not once has he had a hard time praying when he didn't get to talk to his dad this week. It helped me realize a few things. First, that I need to take the time to have him talk to me one on one to see how he is doing and feeling. Especially those times when he is having a hard time minding. Second, My children have trails while I am having trials too. And third, I think that if I can take a day during the week and have a few hours where I spend some special time alone with each child individually, it will help them to feel more love while their dad is gone.
I wonder if that is why baby's cry sometimes when their not hungry, or wet, and are being held. Are they just missing our "Dad" who they just left?

No comments:

Post a Comment