Thursday, April 22, 2010

Music

Music is powerful. There are so many things that music can do. It can change your mood instantly, good or bad. It can heal your heart, and much much more. I know all of this so why did I stop listening to uplifting church music in the car? I wish I knew the answer to that. Now don't get me wrong there are many songs out there that are good songs. Songs that have a good beat, fun to dance to, and even have good messages. And in our family we love a good song to dance to! Having said that there is just something about listening to church music. The peace that it can bring instantly to a room is amazing. Ever since we started listening to church music again in the car the change in my children, and me, and been wonderful. I have more patients. My kids don't fight anymore, well at least they haven't in the past two weeks :], and a couple of days ago I heard my two oldest in the back talking about Jesus and some of the things that they had learned in church. It was that moment that I remembered the talk Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave in the October 2007 General Conference entitled, "Good, Better, Best." If you haven't heard it or read it please do. It really opens your eyes. There are lost of things in the world that are good. Then then are things that are a little better, and things that are really the best. I've used that motto in my life with the way I use my time, so why can't I use it now with music? Well the answer is, I can and I should! So that is what we are doing in my family. We will still listen to the good music that makes our bodies move, makes our lips smile, and makes us happy for a moment. But we will listen more to the best music. The music that inspires us to be better people. The music that makes us happy, lifts our self esteem, draws us closer to our Heavenly Father, helps us be better people, and music that stays in our hearts even when it's turned off. Lesson learned, now to remember it always.

No comments:

Post a Comment