Monday, September 14, 2009

Exercise and listening

Growing up I was athlete. I even played some college basketball. Some people use the analogy of exercising your spirit like you would your body, I understand it. It makes sense to me. If you don't use your muscles then they get weak and you can't perform to the best of your abilities. If you don't read your scriptures and go to church your spirit becomes weak and you won't be able to listen or hear promptings.

Well I have gained an even deeper understand of this concept. I have been reading, To draw Closer to God, by Elder Henry B Eyring. I have just love learning from his book. If you haven't read it, read it! The first three chapters are all about exercising or practicing how to listen to the promptings from the Holy Ghost. Elder Eyring quotes President Marion G. Romney when he talked about how we can obtain and keep the guidance of the Spirit (Holy Ghost). It is, according to President Romney, a simple 4 point program: Pray, Study, Live righteously, and Give service. I want to share with you what happened to me when I took part of this 4 point program and used it, practiced it, in my life. It was the first step, Prayer. More specifically praying for those who teach you in church. It's something that I have done in the past. But it wasn't until I read this part of the book that I understood it and have tried to pray more diligently for the teachers and speakers and for the spirit to teach me. It was amazing the difference I felt in church this last Sunday. I will admit that sometimes it's hard to feel the spirit while trying to keep three small children reverent. This Sunday was different. I still had the children but I had diligently prayed for the speakers and myself to have the spirit so that I might learn and be touched. It worked! It was easier for me to listen to what they were saying as I was helping my children. My heart was opened and I heard and learned what Heavenly Father wanted me to learn. It was an amazing experience! I can't wait for next Sunday and to keep practicing on how to listen so that I can receive the guidance I need.
I will keep you updated on the other steps as I practice them. In the mean time, read the book. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment