Thursday, September 24, 2009

Atonement, a new insite

During my daughters dance class I pulled out President Eyring's book again. I want to share with you what I read and understood from his pages.
In the chapter Choose to be good, on page 69, he suggests to "read the scriptures to try to feel what the Savior feels". I really like that thought. I have never read the scriptures in that why before. I love that. I want to read the scriptures like that. Think of the possibilities of how we can come to understand our Savior better and draw closer to Him.
He goes on to quote 3 Nephi 17:14, "And it came to pass that when they had knelt upon the ground, Jesus groaned within himself, and said: Father, I am troubled because of the wickedness of the people of the house of Israel. " President Eyring says"...I can begin to feel the pain the Savior felt for sins, your and mine. His groan within himself came after he had paid the price for us, after the Atonement. His being troubled was not some abstract grief for our sins and those of the house of Isreal. His was real pain, recently felt, as he took upon him the sins of the world."
Isn't that amazing! I love how President Eyring has learned so much from this scripture and then just taught me about it! I've had pain so intense that I wasn't able to breathe for 5 minutes. My arms and legs started to go numb. My fingers curled up and I could not open them because of the lack of oxygen. There are some moments when I can almost feel that pain again. To be honest it can be scary. Now having gone though that I can not imagine what the Savior went through for you and me. To bleed through every pour in his body because of the pain. And now he groans because he can remember that. He is around the wicked and remembers suffering for the sins that He can see them committing! Reading this is an 'Aha' moment for me. I don't want the Savior to see me when I am doing something I shouldn't be and remember what it was like to suffer. I caused the pain once I don't want to cause it again. Oh how grateful I am for the Atonement and that I CAN repent for my sins, my little or big mistakes that I make each and every day because I am not perfect. But there is joy, we can become perfect if we keep trying our best and repenting when we make our mistakes. Because of our older Brother, our Savior, our Redeemer, and what He did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment