Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mourning

Today I have been hit with a lot of emotion. I've dealt with a lot of deaths already in my young life time. When I was in collage I had three Grandmothers pass away with in 6 months of each other. And then later that year another Grandfather. Over all I've been to 12 funerals that I can remember.
Yesterday I was so ill I had to go to the hospital. Today I am much better but missing my husband's Grandmother's funeral. She was old and had Parkinsons. It was a good thing for her to pass and now she has rest from her earthly body. I'm sad that I can't be there to support the rest of the family. Funerals can be a time of great happiness for a number of reasons. First, in my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints, we know about the plan of salvation. We know that we will be reunited with those loved ones again. Second, funerals can be wonderful family reunions. I remember going to my Father's Mother's funeral and how wonderful it was to see some of my cousins I hadn't see in a couple of years. Third, if the person who has passed led a good life, a worthy life, then it is a good time to celebrate their departure into the next life, the next step.
Now I know that there is sadness. Believe you me, I have sat through a funeral sobbing the whole time. We are human, we have human emotions. It's okay to be sad when someone passes. It's hard when you won't be able to see them all the time. Last night after we got home from the hospital we got a phone call. We were told that my uncle had passed away. He also was very sick. He had been struggling with a brain tumor and brain cancer on and off for 20 years. It was a good thing for him as well. He now has rest. At the same time I am mourning his departure. He was one of my more favorite uncles. He is just older than my dad. So our families did a lot together growing up. He has a daughter my age. I would spend a week at their house every summer. He was an amazing man. He had a full heart and showed love to everyone. As I've gotten older I have still spent time with him. My children have loved him. He was a great uncle to them too! It will be very hard to go to his funeral next week.
Now does this mean that I don't have a testimony of the plan of salvation, of happiness? No it does not. Elder Rafael E. Pino in last General Conference said this, "At times we mourn, but 'we do not mourn as those without hope' ". I still have a very strong testimony and faith that those who have passed on are in the presence of our Heavenly Father. Again I am human with human emotions and I miss my uncle. I still miss my Grandmothers who I grew so close to. I know that I will see them again. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of the Plan of Salvation and that we see our loved ones once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment