Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Child Listened

We have been trying to praise our children more. Hoping it will encourage positive behavior. So when my husband came home last night I told him how my oldest son had helped me. Earlier that evening when we were eating dinner we got a phone call from my husbands brother. We had forgotten that his daughter had a soccer game in our town. So I quickly finished dinner, pressed the kids to finish theirs, and started to get ready to go. My husband had to leave for some church business, so I needed some extra help. I asked my oldest son (who is 5) to get the stroller out of the garage and into the car. He said he couldn't do it. I told him to try. He walked a little ways to the door then yelled it again. I told him once more that he hadn't even tried yet and he needed to try so we could get there in time. He left and I didn't see him again until I was running out the door with my other two kids. He was about to put the stroller into the car. I was so happy and of course I told him what a wonderful job he did. We made it to her game by half time.
So when we were kneeling down for family prayers last night my husband brought it up telling our son how proud he was that he had helped me. Then our son told us his part of the story.
He said that he had a hard time getting the stroller out. The wheel got caught on something. He said he got frustrated and stomped his foot. He started to leave to come and get me but then he said he 'remembered the holy ghost' (I'm sure he meant he had heard or felt it) and he thought to calm down and try again. He was then able to get the stroller unstuck and out the door. He said that the holy ghost had helped him remember to try again like I had told him.
I was so moved by this for a number of reasons. First, the Lord cares about us. He helped my son to calm down (he has been getting easily frustrated lately), and he also helped me. I truly feel that it was a tender mercy to me too. I had promised this niece that we would be there, it was important to her, and I needed the extra help. Second, that our son is learning the things that we and his primary teachers have been teaching him. Third, that he was able to listen and obey. Children are tender by nature, they can heard the whisperings so much more than we older ones can. Forth, I loved that he was able to have this testimony building experience. I remember when I was his age and receiving answers to my prayers. If only I could be like a little child again

No comments:

Post a Comment