Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pitty Party

For the last few months I've been giving myself a pitty party. Don't get me wrong I love my calling in my church. I get to teach the children in my ward who are ages 18 months to 3 years of age. It's fun to play with the toys and try to help them know who our Savior is. Yes it can be very hard and it needs lots of energy. We have 23 children in our nursery (that is what the class is called). Being in nursery I don't get to see very many people who are in my ward. It's a calling that takes you away from the companionship of the other sisters in the ward. When people move in and I go and introduce myself I find that they've been living in the ward for a few months. Then I tell them that I work in the nursery and I'm sorry I didn't notice them before. So in my pitty party for myself I had started to complain about it. How I felt left out of things. How I didn't know when activities were. And how I didn't feel loved or apart of the wonderful organization of Relief Society anymore.
So when it was the annual General Relief Society Meeting this past weekend I was less than excited about it. I really didn't want to go, let a lone listen to the speakers. I had a bad attitude, and it was all my fault. My mom called me at the last minute telling me what channel it was on t.v. So I decided I probably should just watch it. I started watching with a bitter heart, something that I was even surprised at. I love General Conference! It is an amazing time and opportunity we get to hear what the Lord would want us to hear through his prophets. I've had countless prayers answered by listening to their words and then studying them later when they come into print. My heart finally started to open so by the time President Uchtdorf spoke I was ready to really listen to what he had to say. His talk was just for me. He talked about the 'forget me not' flower and how it was his favorite flower growing up. He listed 5 things we needed to remember when ever we saw this flower;
Forget not to be patient with yourself;
Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice;
Forget not to be happy now;
Forget not the "why" of the gospel;
Forget not that the Lord loves you.
We went into more detail with each of these 'forget me nots'. It was the most beautiful talk. I learned so much from it. My heart was softened. I was humbled. I was once again reminded that Heavenly Father loves me and has not forgotten about me. What a blessing it is to hear His words through His prophets here on earth. Now I am happily waiting until this coming weekend when I will have the opportunity to listen to the rest of General Conference.
If you would like to watch his talk go here.
If you would like to read highlights of his talk go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment