Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Embarrassed

I wasn't going to mention this to anyone. It was a little embarrassing, but I was blessed, so I'll share my experience.
Last Friday night was 'girls night out' with some friends of mine. So my husband decided to take our three children camping. My oldest didn't want to leave me so he stayed and was going to go to the baby sitters. Just as my husband was leaving I got a phone call saying that girls night was canceled. My first thought was, 'maybe I should go camping with my family?' But I really didn't feel good about it. So the three of them left and my oldest and I went out for a date. We got home a little after 7 and ate dinner. We were then going to pop some popcorn and watch a movie. Every time I eat I have to take digestive enzymes to help digest my food. If I don't I have tons of pain. My whole life I have been able to swallow a lot of pills at the same time. Once I had a friend dare me to see just how many I could get down. I finally did it with 20 pills in one swallow with no problem. So when I needed to swallow 8 or 10 after eating Friday night I didn't even think twice about it. Well for the first time in my life they got stuck. I could feel them with my hand on my neck. It hurt so bad. I took a few sips of water, it moved the pills a little and made things worse. Now I couldn't breathe very well and my body started dry heaving trying to get them out of my throat. I called my dad and he and my mom were at my house it less than 5 minutes. They called my brother. He came and they gave me a blessing. Then my dad rushed me to the ER while my mom stayed with my oldest.
They saw me right away as I continued to dry heave. They gave me some water to sip and I started to throw up the water. Still nothing from dinner that I just got done eating. The hospital we went to didn't have the right equipment for the tests they needed to do. So I was sent to another hospital. It took them an hour to finally see me, the whole time I was still dry heaving but it had slowed down a little. I was so tired by this time. Finally I was sent to radiology where they gave me some really nasty liquid to drink while they took extremely fast x-rays while I swallowed to see if the pills were still stuck. They came back clear with a little swelling in my throat. I threw up the nasty liquid and continued to dry heave. So they gave me what they called a 'GI cocktail' to help calm my body down and numb my throat. After 30 minutes I stopped dry heaving and was able to go home. If I was still having a large amount of pain I was supposed to return to the hospital in the morning for more testing to see what and or if any damage occurred in my throat.
I swallowed my pills around 7:45pm and returned home at 11:30pm. After dry heaving for a little over 2 hours I was extremely tired.
I set my alarm for 8:30am to see how bad the pain was. It hurt to talk and swallow but I was just so tired I couldn't make myself go back to the hospital. I went back to bed and my dad came and woke me up around 11am. All day Saturday all I could handle was liquid. Sunday night I had my 1st solid food, mashed potatoes and over cooked noodles.
Today my throat doesn't hurt to eat. I can only swallow 1 pill at a time and I'm drinking some stuff to help the healing process along.
Only a handful of people know about this story, until now. It really is embarrassing to even think about how it happened. And then it was embarrassing to dry heave in front of so many people. But I need to share this with you because of the many blessing that I received. It would have been so much worse if I was out with my friends when this happened. Only the Lord knows what would have happened if I was up in the mountains when I took my pills. I was blessed to be able to stay home, have my parents and brother live so close, to have a priesthood blessing, have the first hospital see me so quickly, and have everything turn out okay. Once again I was preserved by the Lord and I am so thankful for the tender mercies he continues to send me.

No comments:

Post a Comment