Sunday, July 26, 2009

Complements

Over the 24th of July weekend we were at my parents for their annual breakfast they put on for their neighbors and friends. We also have a lot of family come. One of my oldest cousins on my dads side was there. It was unusual for him to come to such a family thing. He also isn't an emotional person. When he was leaving he pulled my dad aside, got a little teary eyed, and proceeded to tell him this...'
There is something about this house (my parents house). The feeling that you get when you walk in the door. It reminds me of the old green house (the house that my dad grew up in).' He talked with my dad a little more. This also made my dad tear up.
My dad had really special parents, my grandparents. I didn't get to know my Grandpa. He passed away just before my oldest brother was born. When I was younger I felt very strongly that I knew my grandpa. The veil is so thin when you are little. Of course now I sometimes doubt that feeling. I love to hear stories from my aunts, uncles, and older cousins about my grandpa and what an amazing man he was. He had a very strong testimony of the gospel. His house was also open to those who needed it. He was very generous, kind, and loving. Even now talking about him, I have a special love for this grandfather that I never knew here on this earth.
I did get the change to know my grandma. She was also truly amazing! The last two years of her life I was honored to serve her. I was going to collage not to far away from her home. So every week I would pick up her new medications and her favorite chocolate nut treat on my way to see her. Sometimes she would need help with a bath. Mostly I filled her medications for the next week and got to talk to her. It was a time I cherished with her. I got to know her so well. I loved her sense of humor. She had many callings in the church, but her favorite was when she was in the primary. She loved the little children. And they loved her. They still talk about the activities they would have when she was in the primary. She, like my grandpa, was very loving, giving, kind, and you could always fill the spirit in their home. I miss her very much. I am so grateful once again to know that I'll see both of them again.
After my cousin left my dad told us who where there that that was the best complement he has ever received. To have someone say they felt the same at his home as they did in the home he grew up in was amazing. I would hope that someday someone could say the same about my home. That it felt the same as the home I grew up in. That you could fill the spirit, feel welcome, and feel love when you come to my home. That is how my parents home was growing up and still is today. I knew that no matter what I could go home and feel like I belonged, loved, and it was a sanctuary. We are counseled in our church that our homes should be a place of peace, love, and safety from the world. What a blessing that I had that growing up. Now it is something I strive for for my own children and those who come into my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment