Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Family Home Evening

In my church they encourage families to set aside a night each week to hold Family Home Evening, usually Monday nights. It's a time where you can be together as a family to learn and teach principles of the gospel. Either my husband or I have always taught the lesson. Our children rotate leading the song, saying the prayers, choosing an activity, and choosing a treat afterwards. Well yesterday during the day I noticed my oldest son, who is 7, was reading his scriptures on scripturesforkids.com. I had the thought to have him give the lesson for Family Night. I told him he needed to start thinking about it. As time got closer I asked him what he was going to have the lesson on. He suggested a couple of things, then I suggested one thing. He didn't agree and he choose to have it on Prophets. To help him I printed off a little page about what a prophet is and then a page talking about our current prophet President Thomas S. Monson.
After the opening prayer he just took over teaching. He first asked my other two children, "What is a prophet?" He called on his sister who replied "they go up to Heaven to talk to God to see what he wants us to know. Then he comes back to earth and tells us what God told him." She almost had it right, all but the actually going up to heaven part. I was taken back and amazed at how well he had taken over, and what a good teacher he is already. I couple of times during the lesson I tried to help guide him. Then he would say, "But mom I have something else to ask." Then he would ask questions such as, "Can you name some of the prophets?" To which my children named a couple past prophets. Or "Who was the first prophet?" Great questions. Then at the end of the lesson I explain to him that he needed to bare his testimony. He wasn't sure he knew how. I told him to tell his siblings what he felt in his heart about the things he taught in his lesson. This is what he said all on his own without my help, "I'd like to bare my testimony that I know this church is true. I know that we have a prophet and that he tells us what God wants us to know. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen."
I was so proud of him. I was unsure about the whole thing. I didn't know if he was old enough to teach a lesson. He proved me wrong. It was a wonderful experience for me to be apart of. I am a lucky mother of some amazing children.

No comments:

Post a Comment